Thursday, June 2, 2011

Rocket Launch a Success!

In early April I wrote a grant through the Civil Air Patrol to purchase model rockets to go along with our math and science curriculum.  It also correlated with the rocketry module that came with the CAP resources.  I had launched rockets before at Space Academy for Educators and at a NASA rocketry workshop this past summer. I felt confident in my abilities to make this a great learning experience, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous launching for the first time with 5th graders.  I went to the launch site early to measure off safe distances and to make sure the spot was far away from any trees.  We went over student expecations and wore our safety goggles, which eased my mind.  We had great parent turn out (they wore goggles too!) and the whole thing went as well as it possibly could have.  We had blue skies, well behaved students, supportive parents, and no wind.  I was perfect.  We all had a blast and recovered all the rockets.  A big thank you to the Civil Air Patrol, parents, students and the school for a successful launch and learning experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment